Thursday, February 12, 2009

a kitschy love post.

Well, for the first time in a while Steve and I got to go out on a date. Last night we went to dinner in downtown Bend, I had Halibut, Steve had chicken and ribs, and then we went to the movies. We saw Benjamin Button. Um... it was different. I'm not sure what I think about many parts of the movies, but the one thing that stands out to me the most was that Cate Blanchett is gorgeous! Really. She played everything from a teenager to an old woman, and I was constantly struck by how beautiful her skin and her features are. She has a beautiful dancer's body and she's even had kids! She's also a great actress.

I saw her in a play once when I was in London. It was called Plenty. And when we were in the theather, John Lithgow (from 3rd Rock from the Sun at the time) sat in the next row over. That's the closest to famous people I've ever been. lol

Anyway, we had a great date, and came home to happy kids because they spent the night making cookies and playing with Grandma and Grandpa. They love spending time together and it warms my heart to see them.

Today we are spending the day home. I'm doing a bit of cleaning, a bit of crafting, and in a bit we are going to decorate cakes. Just for fun we made a couple of round cakes this morning, and this afternoon the kids get to decorate them with frosting and sprinkles and have a piece for dessert after dinner. They are very excited about it.

Before I go I wanted to share a bit of hybrid Kitschy love. Hybrid is new for me, but I"m having a lot of fun with it. I love that you can change the colors in the patterns to fit your projects.

For this layout, I loved the blue houndstooth so I printed it as is.

You can get the houndstooth in the Olivia kit.

Next I used the yellow polka dot paper in the Matilda kit, and changed the colors to a nice kraft. I then trimmed out clouds for Payton to sleep on.

I had a lot of fun for this last element. I printed some buttons from the Thrift Store Chic Button kit on Claudine Hellmuth's Sticky Backed canvas, trimmed them out, and then adhered them to Bazzill chipboard circles. I then used my Cropadile to punch holes, and then tied floss. I just love the look, and since it's a digital kit, I'll have buttons forever, lol!

Here's my layout!



I used some ribbon from my stash and some Basic Grey sticker alphas for the title.

I also used a new punch from Fiskars! The Apron Lace punch. LoVE it.

I just wanted to point out that 2peas is having a sale on Kitschy kits with 10% off. That's a great deal! You can check all of Danielle's kits out here.

Have a great Saturday, Valentines Day, the day of LOOOVVVEEEE. Before I go I wanted to leave you with a little last minute Valentine craft idea. I saw this yesterday and thought it was super, super cute to have hanging around the house.

Heartman

I think we are going to make one of these guys today, for entertainment and fun with the kids.

:) Davinie

P.S. Less than a week until y0ur January layouts are due if you want to win a couple of great RAK'S! I have been adding some great goodies to mine so I hope you'll play along! Check it out here.

14 comments:

  1. i am obsessed with that new punch as well!! glad you and Lance/Steve got out for the evening, lol!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This layout is beautiful. :) And I LOVE that punch. Mine just came this week, and I can't wait to start playing with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:24 PM

    totally lovin' your hybrid design!
    i'm addicted to houndstooth of any color! :)

    i just bought that new punch yesterday - i came right home and had to use it on 2 layouts asap! awesome punch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!! Those buttons look so real. Awesome layout

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep staring at the buttons and can't believe they aren't real!! This LO is definitely one of my faves!! I'm obsessed with houndstooth right now also...and now I want that punch! WAHHH! So glad to hear you and DH had a night out together...so important!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE the stickyback buttons. I hope it's OK I am linking to you from my blog tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. davinie, that layout is gorgeous, gorgeous! your "date" sounds ideal!!! love hybrid too, have found that it really pushes the creative side. hugs & love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow those buttons look so real! such a cute layout!

    ReplyDelete
  10. my jaw is hanging open....love thise buttons!!
    awesome page :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:26 AM

    That is such an adorable LO. Kids are such angels when there sleeping :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super cute Dav! I love that you are digging into the hybrid world. This layout turned out adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the Dream Land layout. The colours are so well chosen :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE That Layout! so beautiful!!! you have inspired me! :) I really want that punch! I hope I can get it soon!

    ReplyDelete