Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Studio Calico May

Did you get your hands on the kit? The May kit from Studio Calico went up for sale on Monday night! I hope you were able to pick it up.

Here's what I came up with this month. I have to say, time and creativity were hard to find, but I did manage 4 layouts along with a partially finished fabric album.


This layout was a lift of bbrod's Play 24/7. I flipped it upside down for this layout.




I couldn't tell you where the design idea for this layout came from. What I can say is that I loved the paper with my photos, but the Heidi Swapp sticker alphas weren't going to stand out on the blue background so I decided to split the paper. I like how you turned out!

I'm also noticing that I used a lot of rounded corners this month. I guess you can say they were inspired by the exclusive SC papers this month. I had a lot of fun trimming out the half scallops on that paper, and found the rounded edges of those scallops inspiring in my designs.





This layout just makes me happy. I loved the Cosmo Cricket Snorkel paper with the scallops that I trimmed out, yet again, and I had fun with that bright yellow stitching. The scallop punch I used is the scallop sentiment from Fiskars. I thought Apron Lace was my favorite punch, but I use this quite a bit. It's much easier to use a border punch than deco scissors!



This layout was inspired by the little acrylic girl. I don't document words of wisdom for my kids enough, so I wanted to make sure I got a few things noted on a layout, in my handwriting.

I used to write in a journal all the time. I have been doing so since I was 8, and I still have that journal. But ever since Payton was born and scrapbooking has taken over my life, I've stopped writing in a special notebook like I used to. And I often feel like I'm not putting my thoughts and feelings into my work enough to make up for that. So I decided to write some things down, but I've also decided it's time to get back to the journal. I really enjoy looking back at journals from several years ago to see what I thought about things. The most interesting is when I look back at high school journals. You couldn't pay me enough to go back to those days, and when I read those journals, there are often times when I wish that my 33 year old self, yes, 33, was there with that 16 year old girl, so that I could remind her that she is stronger and bigger than that, and that once she is out of high school and living her life, she'll never even see that boy, etc., again. I needed her, lol.

Anyway, I didn't treat the girl with anything. I was going to leave her plain but decided she needed to stand out a bit, so I sponged some Colorbox ink over the top and then sealed her with Super Seal. That's some amazing stuff!

Lastly is a little piece of my heart. I'm not near finished, my album is going to be 20 pages and I received it only a few days before the reveal of the May kit, but I did manage to put a few pages together.

I have always wanted to do an album about my babies, comparing them month to month during their first year. I thought this moment and this album was a perfect opportunity to do that. We are on picture overload with this post, so I'll share the inside pages and some details later this week. However, I did write up a tutorial for Studio Calico, and you can check that out here.


The title for this album used to don the titles of layouts long ago and there was a time it was so overused that it went out of "style", but I thought it was the perfect phrase to use for the subject of my album. I can't imagine my life without my girls and I do think they are heaven sent.... except when they acting like little devils anyway.

:)

Have a great day!

P.S. Don't forget the NSD challenges at Studio Calico! And remember: you have to link your layouts on my blog on my May 2nd post.

I'll also be posting my April Project 12 challenge May 1st. Be sure to check back for that!

Davinie :)

4 comments:

  1. Love, love, LOVE all your layouts this month but I have to say that I am particularly drawn to the One Fine Day layout. I am definitely lifting this one! Thank you for the wonderful inspiration! You are a talented lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey neighbor! Love your layouts! :) I have the fabric scrapbook- but i can't decide exactly what I am going to do with it! lol I may just turn it into a 2009 book - like journal. So many choices its hard to decide what to do! LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:57 AM

    I just have to say that I think this is my very favorite layouts that you put together with a kit!!! ... ok, so I think that every month :) AWESOME JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the awesome LO's - I know exactly what I'll be doing with my kit (caseing all your LO;s!!)
    Lou

    ReplyDelete