Thursday, April 15, 2010

Scrapbook and Cards Today - Spring Issue projects

For the Spring issue of Scrapbook and Cards Today, I had a last minute article assignment to create projects for an article called "Embellish with Ease" (page 42). The assignment was to create projects using handmade paper embellishments.

(If you haven't had a chance to download this free issue and you don't subscribe to this wonderful magazine in printed form, check it out here).

For my first layout, of course I had to make the paper roses I am now seeing everywhere on the net. You can see a tutorial on how I did those the first time here.



Supplies: Studio Calico patterned paper, October Afternoon patterned paper, Jenni Bowlin buttons, Harmonie wood alphas, Bazzill swiss dot cardstock and some American Crafts fabric brads.
That great big scallop is hand cut, traced from that ruler at the Dollar Tree. I just got my new double embossed dotted lace
punch and while the scallops are a wee bit more narrow, this punch is going to get a lot of use!
This next layout included a fun technique. I used the longest stitch on my machine and ran down the center of the pink pattern. Then I dipped it under the tap and slowly pulled the bottom thread to scrunch up the paper. After it tried I trimmed the stitches out and layered the title.




Supplies: American Crafts Abode, chipboard alphas, Basic Grey chipboard alphas, Sassafras blooms

I love the ruffled look it gave to this layout. That big circle was traced from a Fiesta ware dinner plate.
This last minute project was a card made with dimensional butterflies.
I simply punched the butterfly twice, and layered the pieces, with a darker print on the bottom for a "shadow". I then bent the wings on the top layer and added some jewels.

Supplies: Crate paper's Pink Plum line, Studio Calico patterned paper, chipboard, Basic grey sticker alphas, Martha Stewart butterfly punch, ZVA Creative jewels)
I'm currently working on my assignment for the summer issue, which is turning into another fun issue. I can't wait to share what I have been working on.
I'm also just about finished with a couple projects using the May kit from Studio Calico, Granny's Cupboard (the sneak show is here), and will be back soon to share my own sneaks. I purchased Linen and Lace and Trinkets, as well as more add-on paper and more SC paper this month.
Have a great day! Davinie

8 comments:

  1. i loved your stuff in this issue Dav! And i have to try the ruffle thing - i adore the way that turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome layouts (as always), but that first one has me swooning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i saw those...it was my first issue of my sub! awesome

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also loved your pages in the spring issue! I loved the way you used the "comfort" thicker, so dimensional and interesting looking! Glad you stopped by, miss chatting with you and Nic S. onlline like this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love these projects esp. those paper roses! They look really cool and fun to do. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantabulous creations girl -just love your colorful and perfectly designed layouts! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:25 PM

    I'm so glad to say I finally got the issue to download so glad I worked out because I love your layouts especially the one with the gorgeous OA paper, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Plates are the best circle templates! :) TFS the ruffled paper trick- I have to try that today! Super, super cute projects! :)

    ReplyDelete