Sunday, February 27, 2011

Studio Calico March - Into the Woods Reveal

The kit is live for regular sale time! 

Things to note from the morning:

#1 Babbling Brook sold out first.  It was probably that super cute stamp and the KI pockets.  If you are familiar with the frenzy that is SC at kit time, I would make this one a first purchase if you are after it.

Next to sell out was #3 Sunny Clearing.  I picked this one up and am a huge fan.  This had the number stamp set, the delicious trims from Stella Rose, the button clips, and the fun Cosmo butterfly and doilies.  It also adds a bit of pink to the color palette.

#2, Mossy Knoll sold out as well.  I also picked this one up and am happy to have that AC Paperback alpha, more trims from MME Stella Rose, and the KI stitched paper.

I think #4 Wildflower was still available but I can't see the presale screen so I don't know for sure.


The Epiphany Crafts products are under supplies, not Punches.  There are the three different tools, as well as the buttons and epoxy shapes.  I'm looking forward to making these a staple to my projects! 

If you want more of the exclusive Crate label stickers from the Candy Shoppe kit, there are a few in the embellishment section of the shop tonight.  Get them now because they won't be restocked and are expected to sell out. 

Ever get More Calico?  I've noticed more dark brown as part of the color palette in our kits lately, so I definitely think getting more Kraft, Black, white, vanilla, and delicious coffee is a great way to stretch your kit.  Only $5 for 10 pieces of cardstock is a great deal too. 

On to my layouts:

I've been obsessed with hexagons.  It started when I first noticed these shapes in the designs on some of my favorite scrapbook papers.  When I got my CHA assignment for the Countryside Collection from Studio Calico, I knew immediately that hexagons were going to be part of my layout (along with that cute Betsy pattern with the cows on the B side).  You can check out that CHA layout here.

I've seen the hexagons trimmed out of the patterned paper, but I hadn't seen hexagons trimmed from different patterns.  Imagine my surprise when I found out that the Basics cartridge that came with my original blue Slice HAS a hexagon shape.  For pete's sake.  Isn't it interesting how focused you can be on one shape, maybe because of a trend, and totally overlook things that have been staring you in the face all along?  It makes me take a second look at a lot of things that inspire me.





















I adore the bee stamp in the main kit and see myself using it a lot.  I also used my WRMK Sew Easy tool and that zig zag stitch for this layout.  I am usually a scallop girl, but I'm a huge fan of the zig zag, for some reason.  I'm also having fun doing random stitchery on my projects rather than using it to hold down a piece of paper or frame something.

My next layout was inspired by the MME Stella Rose (from add-on 2).
































I loved the color palette here.  I chose a strip of pink scallop on the bottom to match the pink in their matching girlie helmets. 





















I love hand stitching the circles.  When Basic Grey had a similar design in the Bakers Dozen kit, I hand stitched the circle.  This time it was all about the machine.

I also used new Studio Calico mists.  Barnwood (a grey/brown), and white, a staple.  I had to dirty the layout up a bit since it's about my girls being tomboys and playing on the 4 wheeler. 

P.S.  2peas now has the mists, Countryside, and State Fair.  Check it out!


I also had fun being creative with the numbers stamps from #3 Sunny Clearing. 



Misting!  I did some misting!  Bonny Blue and Pickle used here, blue over the Sassafras alphas in the main kit.  I wanted to use this paper from KI (from the main kit), but the alphas matched the paper too closely, so misting over them and then peeling them off was a great alternative.  It also made the layout more fun to create.
The chipboard alphas came from #3 Sunny Clearing.  I was happy to have a yellow alpha to use.


I hope you can tell what this is supposed to represent at the bottom here, fishies in the ocean.  Fishies and water are also made courtesy of the #3 add-on, Sunny Clearing.  To make the fish I snipped an X alpha in half for their tails.  The ric rac makes the perfect water, don't you think?  The yellow in the fishies also balances out the use of the yellow alpha on the upper right which brings the design together.

I finished the kit up with a quick and easy card.  As I mentioned, I'm digging the bees.  The bees and the paper all came from the main kit, but the alphas and buttons come from #2, Mossy Knoll.  Those crochet yellow doilies?  They are in #3 Sunny Clearing, and they are handmade by one of our members at Studio Calico!  I love that we had a touch of handmade in the kit, and the fact that we used one of our own members to do it is just awesome. 

That's it!  Good luck tonight, and any questions about my work, just let me know!  Have a great night!

Davinie

8 comments:

  1. As always gorgeous work ! Full of inspiring details !

    Thanks for the sweet comment on my January project 12 lo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so great. The first one (2 pger) is one of my favorites of the entire DT gallery this month. I've never done a 2 page lo & this makes me want to try!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such fabulous creations! I love them all! The stitching, the masking and those adorable chipboard fishies! All so clever and fun to look at. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love love those stitched circles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your layouts and card are amazing as always. Your hand and machine sewing always captures my eyes. Why am I always at work when I get motivated to create? Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the fishies = my favorite. also? thanks for the tip about the slice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute and well done projects here. Love the bee card.

    ReplyDelete